Wednesday, August 22, 2007

12 weeks

I had my 12 week checkup this afternoon. The little munchkin's heart was beating loud and strong at 156 beats per minute. The doctor said that's a great sign and things are progressing normally. In three weeks, I will have to have some blood work done to test for some birth defects. Please keep him/her in your prayers. He also told me we would be able to find out if the little munchkin is a boy or a girl in about 6 weeks! Bryan and I can't wait!
Here's how the baby is developing at the 12 week stage:
The baby's hit the 2-inch mark (about the size of a lime) and weighs half an ounce. His/Her face is beginning to look more human. His/Her eyes, which started out on the sides of his/her head, have moved closer together on his/her face, and his/her ears are near their final positions on the sides of his/her head. The baby's intestines, which have grown so rapidly that they protrude into the umbilical cord, will start to move into his/her abdominal cavity about now. His/Her kidneys are secreting urine into his/her bladder. His/Her nerve cells have been multiplying rapidly, and synapses (neurological pathways in the brain) are forming. The baby may have acquired more reflexes by now, including sucking, and he/she will even squirm if I prod my abdomen (although I still can't feel anything yet).

1 comment:

kellynbreesmom's, Just about Life said...

Good luck and God Bless. Your in my prayers.